Sleep is one of those things that you don’t realise how important it actually is until you don’t get it. I have been inundated lately with messages from people that aren’t getting enough sleep, or their children aren’t. So I wanted to run through why sleeps important and essential oil options for sleep. Last night I had 11 hours sleep myself and my children had 12.5 hours – I went to bed early, because my body told me I needed it. doTERRA Essential Oils can be such a valuable asset to have when trying to obtain quality sleep.
We all know that sleep is super important for your mood and energy levels, but it also plays a huge role in your body. Getting enough sleep is paramount for your:
- Immune System – We are much more prone to picking up infection or the common cold when sleep deprived. When we sleep our bodies are SO BUSY performing tasks to repair our bodies.
- Brain Health – your cognitive function, like how to drive a car, or even losing things… sleep controls your cognitive function.
- Mood & Energy levels – Shit sleep = shit mood.
- Skeletal Health – You need sleep to strengthen your bones. The stem cells in your bone marrow eventually turn into red blood cells. Without adequate sleep, the process can’t happen.
- Your skin and face needs you to sleep!!! We’ve all heard of “beauty sleep”, but it’s actually true. We NEED sleep, without sleep our stress levels and cortisol levels rise, this causes damage to our skin.
- Our hearts rely on sleep, sleep deprivation makes the heart work harder on a daily basis. This puts stress on our hearts.
- Healthy Weight – When we are sleep deprived, let’s face it – the fridge isn’t safe. Sleep deprivation causes our appetite to increase.
- Our liver works like clockwork. Our bodies actually produce more cholesterol at night time. When we don’t sleep our liver can’t carry out functions like breaking down adrenaline, managing blood sugar levels and cleaning out the crap we have accumulated in our bodies.
- SEX – no sleep and your sex drive dramatically decreases. Performance also decreases. A lack of sleep throws our hormones off balance and can cause issues with fertility.
There are so many factors that play into our sleep including our children of course, our diet, our vitamin D levels and of course of occupation. As a shift worker for many years I understand first hand how hard shift work can be on your body and mind. Playing with your natural body clock by reversing your “night” and “day” has many risk factors including a shorter lifespan. So extra care must be taken as a shift worker to ensure you let your body catch up on sleep when it’s crying out for sleep.
So what can you do to increase your sleep without popping Valium every night?!?!
- Get outside, get some sunshine!!! Our circadian rhythms are controlled by sunlight. Exposure to sunlight in the morning will certainly affect how we sleep of a night. Get outside, get active and get that precious vitamin D into our bodies.
- Avoid Technology before bed – Create positive bedtime routines. Exposing ourselves to the lights of things like phones, iPads, TV etc are actually sending our brains messages to stay awake. Avoid it for at least an hour before bed. Read a book instead. We thrive off routine, doing a bedtime routine each night regardless of age is key to letting your body know it’s TIME for sleep.
- Create a calming environment – Our bodies are all different, so creating your perfect calm will be different to mine. For me personally I need silence and dark to sleep, however some people need light and noise to sleep. Create your own CALM environment for sleep.
- Look at your diet – Chances are if your body is laced with caffeine, you aren’t going to be able to sleep. I’m guilty as charged for my caffeine addiction – Some nights I go to bed absolutely wired on caffeine, I only have myself to blame. If your having trouble sleeping look at your diet – is it rich in caffeine, preservatives, colours, sugar etc? Something has to give there.
- I use my oils to create my calm environment, Unfortunately they aren’t magic. So they can’t control environmental factors like wired AF on caffeine or I’ve spent the last 4 hours starring at my phone… Not every oil will have the same effects on people. Finding the right calming oils for YOU is important. I have friends who lavender makes their child absolutely crazy, They have success however with things like vetiver or bergamot.
Getting quality sleep is about a holistic approach, it’s about looking at the big picture. As Individuals our sleep needs are all different, the recommendations are for 7-10 hours of sleep for an adult. Chad can have 7 and he is absolutely perfect, If I have 7 hours sleep – you would think I was drunk. So what oils are good for sleep? There are a vast variety of essential oils that are good for promoting a restful environment.
Vetiver is rich, luscious and super thick essential oil. It is made using the roots of the plant. Vetiver essential oil is rich in sesquiterpenes, which contain grounding properties. When used on the skin or inhaled, Vetiver essential oil can help provide a calming and grounding effect on emotions. Vetiver can be used by either diffusing 3-4 drops or by applying topically to the skin with fractionated coconut oil. I have personally had a lot of success with vetiver on both myself and children. It has a gorgeous earthy aroma and pairs perfectly with roman chamomile, or lavender. It also smells divine in the diffuser on its own.
Lavender Peace is doTERRA’s calming/restful blend. It is a blend of Lavender Flower, Cedarwood, Ho Wood Leaf, Ylang Ylang Flower, Marjoram Leaf, Roman Chamomile Flower, Vetiver Root, Vanilla Bean Absolute, Hawaiian Sandalwood Wood. Combining some of the best essential oils for sleep in one beautiful essential oil blend. This blend can be used either topically by combining with fractionated coconut oil and massaging into the skin or by diffusing in an aromatherapy diffuser. Lavender peace is grounding and calming, Which helps to soothe a racing mind and promote rest and relaxation. It is beautiful on its own in the diffuser or paired with Balance.
Roman Chamomile is well known for its relaxing and soothing properties. With its ability to soothe the bodies systems and create a calming environment for sleep. Roman chamomile only grows a foot in height, With flowers that resemble a daisy.
Copaiba has a beautiful aroma and when inhaled can put you in a lighter frame of mind and alleviate any feelings of anxiety and stress that you may be feeling. A perfect addition for a bedtime routine, to ease those negative feelings from the day and promote a calm and relaxing environment.